Never Underestimate The Power of 'One'

Purple Ladybug (that's me) believes in the strong power of 'ONE'...one person, one smile, one hug or ? All it takes is 'ONE' thing to happen during your day to change the way you feel, it may be amazing or even heartbreaking. We face many 'ONE's each and every day, so join me as I take my future 'ONE' day at a time and write about my journey as a cancer conquerer and the 'ONE's in my daily life.

Friday, October 21, 2011

Day 461 - 'one' barf bag or two?

We spent the last 3 days in a place called Tofino on Vancouver Island.  It's the only place in BC that people can actually surf the big waves, well at least it's the only place I've seen them do it in BC.  The drive there was great until we hit the zig zag portion, yuck, or should I say barf! LOL.  What a great time we had walking on the beach that seemed to go on forever and cooking our meals together, playing cards of course and thinking about where we shall go next...

It's funny because the last time we went camping on the island we really didn't like it because all we did was battle traffic from one town to another.  But once you get off the usual car travelled roads there is so much to see.  Like life, once you get off the treadmill or you get out of the herd of people cattle you are following you will find your true self.  And to be honest you need to do this on your own.  You can't have someone telling you what you should be, do, or accomplish, it needs to come from within.  Yes, we have all taken the easy road but taking the untraveled path will have the most reward but it will be the hardest and for sure the riskiest. 

Today I shall go and have my port-a-cath flushed.  Originally the dr. said we would just leave it in me without flushing it monthly as required to keep it ready for using.  But I have decided that I want to keep it ready to be used in case a new protocol or ? becomes available.  Yep I'm going against the dr's recommendation but it makes me feel better knowing that we can use it if we need to for any treatments that may cross our paths.  If I don't keep it ready they may have to remove the old gizmo and put in a new one and THAT I don't want to do.

I was surprised yesterday when we arrived home to listen to a news reporter talk about the book that is coming out about Steven Jobs.  An interesting section of the book talks about Steven's regrets.  One of his regrets is that when the cancer was first detected he was in the group of patients that were curable.  All they had to do was a short surgery and the cancer would be gone.  But he chose to go with the diet and alternative therapies which resulted in the cancer taking over other areas of his body as well.  By the time another CT scan was done it was too late.  Too late to have that surgery that would have saved his life or at least allowed him to live longer.  So sad. 

When he finally decided to take treatments he told everyone that his cancer was gone...it's almost like he didn't want anyone to know of his true path.  The thing about taking cancer treatments is that you feel out of control.  That the dr's and nurse's are controlling your care and that's a hard one to take.  We are a very controlling society and alternative therapies are advertised everywhere as 'working'.  By using them we feel that we are more in control of what is being done and what is happening to our body.  I worry about individuals that use ONLY alternative therapies for their treatments.  I believe that a balance of scientific and alternative therapies will bring the best result while still helping you feel like you have some control of what is going into your body. 

ahhh home again.  Which comes with mixed feelings, that is, being brought back to reality and getting to see my family again.  Yep mixed feelings.  May your day be filled with mixed feelings...

signed 'one' vacationed purple ladybug

1 comment:

  1. I was hoping when there was no answer @ home you had gone to Tofino. Never been there but, heard so many good things. You're choices have been right on, in my opinion, the mix of therapies give a sense of balance. there is no one answer for a cure just as there is no one answer for the cause. Stay strong, stay optimistic but, most of all, stay you. Hugs, Big Bear

    ReplyDelete

It may be when we no longer know what to do, we have come to our real work, and that when we no longer know which way to go, we have begun our real journey.