Never Underestimate The Power of 'One'

Purple Ladybug (that's me) believes in the strong power of 'ONE'...one person, one smile, one hug or ? All it takes is 'ONE' thing to happen during your day to change the way you feel, it may be amazing or even heartbreaking. We face many 'ONE's each and every day, so join me as I take my future 'ONE' day at a time and write about my journey as a cancer conquerer and the 'ONE's in my daily life.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

'One' CT scan

Well my hands are working well enough to sew on my hubby's buttons for my Dr's appointment today. No belly buttons showing please! ;-) We would hear today for the first time if the chemo treatments were doing anything. Neither my husband or I expected much.  I had only gone through 2 1/2 chemo sessions.  We wondered if there would be any change at all.  I can say wholeheartedly how blessed we are to have such an amazing oncologist.  She is honest, loves for us to ask questions and loves her job, that is obvious.

Usually when we go into the oncologist appointment we have a page of questions.  This time we only had '2'...
should I be taking vitamin D with all the hype and cancer and what are the results of the CT scan.

We generally yakked for a couple minutes and then she talked about the CT scan.  She said that we should have done a CT scan just before the chemo and the picture would be more accurate as to what is actually happening with the colon cancer.  The last time I had a CT scan was even before my surgery, so there was approximately 4 weeks before I even started my chemo sessions.  4 weeks of opportunity for the cancer to continue to invade my body and multiply.  But we needed to wait for my body to heal from the surgery before starting surgery.  I had 3 weeks to heal in what every other person gets 12 weeks. 

The CT scan showed that there were more spots and some of the cancer cells had grown larger which could have evolved during my wait period for the recent CT scan. BUT, and I say BUT it also showed that some of the cancer cells were dying from the inside out.  My CEA marker numbers were also decreasing. PHEW...it was good news.  I never expected to hear anything like that. 

The oncologist said we will continue what we are doing because it seems to be working...'seems to be working' something else I didn't expect to hear.  Another CT scan will be done in 3 to 4 months.  And chemo will continue indefinitely until the side effects keep me from a good quality of life. 

I feel so wonderful and healthy these days its hard to believe I'm sick.  My hair has thinned immensely but its still there.  My oncologist says my head hurts because that last bit of hair is hanging on for its life...me too!!!!

All and all it was a good day.  My 'one's for today are the results of my CT scan and 'one' awesome oncologist.  Having someone you can talk to honestly and ask anything is invaluable.  We even asked about using 'bud' a couple of appointments ago. 

I hope your day was at some point an amazing 'one'. 
BIG HUGS - 'one' purple ladybug

No comments:

Post a Comment

It may be when we no longer know what to do, we have come to our real work, and that when we no longer know which way to go, we have begun our real journey.