Never Underestimate The Power of 'One'

Purple Ladybug (that's me) believes in the strong power of 'ONE'...one person, one smile, one hug or ? All it takes is 'ONE' thing to happen during your day to change the way you feel, it may be amazing or even heartbreaking. We face many 'ONE's each and every day, so join me as I take my future 'ONE' day at a time and write about my journey as a cancer conquerer and the 'ONE's in my daily life.

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Sleepy...so Sleepy

'One' thing thats developed during my chemo is the inability to sleep.  I awake on average about every hour to one and half hour, then its challenging to get back to sleep.  The first 24 hours seem to be the hardest.  The fatigue sets in and you are exhausted but your brain is going all over the place.
I started a mindful mediation class a few weeks ago and it has helped me get 'some' control over my mind.  The course was nothing like I expected it to be...you know, sitting cross-legged on the floor with my eyes closed say ohmmmm ohmmm. ;-).  Nope not at all...
 It's about helping you deal with emotions, pain and the crazy brain that has gotten out of control over the years. 

Being in the moment is so helpful. [just stopped to put my cream on my hands and my wonderful princess gloves now its hard to type] I have one of those brains that is continually wondering here, there and everywhere.  Thinking about the future, thinking about tomorrow, thinking about the past, thinking about projects...good grief its madness sometimes.  I'm so busy thinking about what needs to be done I don't enjoy what I'm doing right now. 

Thats what mindful living is all about. Learning to focus, you will always have those wondering thoughts, its what you do with them when they arrive that matters.  Acknowledge them but bring your thoughts back to concentrating on your breathing and being in the moment. 

When asked by the counsellor why I wanted to attend the course, I let him know that the Dr. anticipates that I may be in a lot of
pain in the future.  That scares the BEEP out of me! I want to be able to function the best I can and deal with the pain in a way that I can keep my mind clear and active.  This technique will allow you to control the pain but it takes practice.  45 minutes a day practice and then you try different ways and figure out what works best for you. 


Right now I also do Tai Chi in the mornings and some yoga when I can.  So far so good. Its very interesting learning to live in the moment.  Listening to the sounds, smells and tastes that you are surrounded with.  We get so numb to the important things in life.  For some reason we think they will always be there and are not important.  But they are...the rose blooming, the birds singing, the warmth of the sun on your face, the moving clouds, a rising sun, a smile or hug from a little one or my daughters [they have such BIG hugs for their MOM] and so much more. 

I wish for you 'one' moment in your day that you just sit and enjoy the wonderful things that surround you. Take a moment...if not for you, do it for me.

Signed 'one' tired cordinated purple ladybug.

1 comment:

  1. As I walked down the lane this morning to my massage appointment(they call them alleys here and think I'm strange)the sun was shining and the sky was a wonderful shade of blue. It was really warm for this time of year in Alberta. I thought of you because I recognized how beautiful it was and it would probably be the 'ONE' moment of my day that I would consciously take note of that. I to have an over-active mind and find it difficult living in the moment. That moment was because of you.

    Thank you.
    Love Brenda

    ReplyDelete

It may be when we no longer know what to do, we have come to our real work, and that when we no longer know which way to go, we have begun our real journey.