Never Underestimate The Power of 'One'

Purple Ladybug (that's me) believes in the strong power of 'ONE'...one person, one smile, one hug or ? All it takes is 'ONE' thing to happen during your day to change the way you feel, it may be amazing or even heartbreaking. We face many 'ONE's each and every day, so join me as I take my future 'ONE' day at a time and write about my journey as a cancer conquerer and the 'ONE's in my daily life.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Day 286 - 'one' big change

that's what my next set of treatments is going to be.  New medicine, new routine and of course new side effects...woohoo!

As you know I went to the Dr. today. The results of my CT scan showed some growth in the tumours, not much but some.  Some new tumours have shown up as well.  The pain in my back is not from them so it is muscular, that's a relief.  Just as I suspected we are changing my chemo protocol to take out the chemo pill and I will move into a new routine.

With the new medicine...
 it can be taken by IV but the side effects for women are scary.  It feels like your throat closes up and you can't breath, although it only feels that way, your body is not actually doing it.  The chemo nurses don't even like giving it through the IV.  So I will get a Port-a-cath installed.  It wasn't what I wanted but the side effects scared the BEEP out of me so a Port-a-cath it is. 

It is installed under your skin in your chest so I will need to go to the hospital for that, I am waiting for an appointment.  My treatments will now be every 2 weeks instead of every 3.  But I won't have to take pills for 2 weeks.  One of the side effects is that I will be extremely sensitive to cold.  Putting your hands in the fridge or freezer will hurt and so will drinking cold drinks or food.  My breakfast smoothie will now have to sit on the counter for awhile before I eat it, so will my yogurt.  Warm yogurt is yucky!!!


Everything will feel different again.  The first treatment will be the worst because you don't know what it will be like.  I will go in for treatment and then after a couple days will have to remove the pump out of the Port-a-cath on my own or go back to the hospital.  Hopefully I will be able to do it on my own.  We will see.

Until my Port is put in I will have to wait for my new chemo routine, so I still get a bit of a break.  But of course the mind is going, you know how it is.  You start contemplating side effects and the change of going every 2 weeks and then of course the idea that you have this mechanism installed in your chest!  Doesn't that sound like fun?

It's moving forward though. I would rather feel like I'm trying something than hearing the words 'lets just wait and see', that I don't like. 

So with the change comes new concerns but new possibilities as well.  My tumour marker is higher than it was but definitely not really high to be worried.  Worry? who worries??? ;-)  So onward and upward and I need to work on my brain staying in the present as I enjoy a few more days of gaining strength and having fun.

signed 'one' changing my routine purple ladybug

1 comment:

  1. Let's not let our minds run too far ahead...we'll take each step as it comes and TACKLE it together: with God's grace, no less.

    In the meantime we will party while we wait, right? Maybe the boring type of party for some, but ping pong, hockey, snacks and painting sound good to me!

    Love Cindy

    ReplyDelete

It may be when we no longer know what to do, we have come to our real work, and that when we no longer know which way to go, we have begun our real journey.