Never Underestimate The Power of 'One'

Purple Ladybug (that's me) believes in the strong power of 'ONE'...one person, one smile, one hug or ? All it takes is 'ONE' thing to happen during your day to change the way you feel, it may be amazing or even heartbreaking. We face many 'ONE's each and every day, so join me as I take my future 'ONE' day at a time and write about my journey as a cancer conquerer and the 'ONE's in my daily life.

Thursday, December 2, 2010

No chemo tomorrow, its like taking away Christmas!

We were out doing some Santa shopp'n today when Ray's phone rang which means that there was a message on the phone at home. I checked the message and it was the chemo nurse letting me know that my chemo for tomorrow am had been cancelled due to Dr Le's orders and my next treatment will be Dec 22.

Dec 22, what?
  That's not what I discussed with my Dr yesterday.  The only thing that I could think of was that my white blood cell count was extremely low and that I can not have treatment when my immunities are at a very low level.  @#$^%$#$#@@  The last thing I want to do is start loosing my 'kick that cancer' medicine when things are going so well. argghhhhhh

Having Chemo Dec 22 would really affect Christmas.  I would be fatigued and the nausea would be in full throttle mode.  I started saying some nasty words and getting worried about my white count levels thinking that I should be going home not out and about with all the sicky people shopping.  You get very paranoid about getting sick because you don't have the ability to fight off the germs.  I called the chemo desk right away to find out what had happened.  They said that the order came from the Dr and they assumed it was at patient request.  I told her that I had not requested it and what the Dr and I had discussed yesterday.  She transferred me to the Dr's office to find out why she had cancelled my chemo session.  I wanted to know, but really didn't want to hear that my white cell count was low. 

I explained my confusion to the receptionist and she said that she would talk to the Dr and get back to me, I gave her Ray's cell number. We decided that I would stay in the car and wait for the call back and Ray would go to one of his favorite shopping joints, you know 'tools'!

I was sitting there for about 15 minutes, filling my face with the snacks that I had brought along for our shopping day, and Rays phone rang again to let me know that there was a message at home.  I called home quickly hoping that I wouldn't miss the call from the Dr. telling what was going on.  It was a message from the chemo nurse again letting me know that there had been mix up over 3 depts.  The Dr., the pharmacy and the chemo desk.  The Dr. had called to say that I would not need chemo for 6 weeks and it all went hairy from there.  Phew, what relief but I figured that now my spot had been filled for tomorrow am and I would have to wait to get my chemo re-scheduled.  But everything was back on track, my appointment was still at the same time tomorrow am and she apologized about the confusion. 

Funny how you spend most of the time not looking forward to chemo but when its taken away from you its shifts very quickly to...give me my chemo please!!!  It's that old saying you don't know you'll miss something until its taken away, even the stuff you don't enjoy that much.  You think you don't like doing the laundry for the family but when the kids move out you miss the site of all those little itty bitty socks.  You think you can't wait until you don't have to make lunches before everyone goes out the door until you don't get to make them anymore.  You think it would be nice to have really short hair until you don't have much hair at all anymore ;-). 

Yep, its funny all the things that annoy you today may be eventually gone and you will be wishing them back.  Even chemo, which makes you feel not that well and interrupts what you call your life, you want it back desperately when its taken away from you.

So for today, I am thankful for my chemo tomorrow and even the upcoming fatigue and nausea.  As Martha Stewart would say 'Its a good thing'. 

signed 'one' grateful purple ladybug

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear all is as it should be...Just the way you want it. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is the best silver lining to any cloud story I have every heard. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say that SUCKS and was going to reschedule 'Christmas' with you guys to whenever worked better; next week even! Glad to hear things are on the go again.

    Love you!!! Hope tomorrow goes well.

    Crystal xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete

It may be when we no longer know what to do, we have come to our real work, and that when we no longer know which way to go, we have begun our real journey.