Never Underestimate The Power of 'One'

Purple Ladybug (that's me) believes in the strong power of 'ONE'...one person, one smile, one hug or ? All it takes is 'ONE' thing to happen during your day to change the way you feel, it may be amazing or even heartbreaking. We face many 'ONE's each and every day, so join me as I take my future 'ONE' day at a time and write about my journey as a cancer conquerer and the 'ONE's in my daily life.

Friday, January 28, 2011

'one' special place

We all have at least one of those.  Mine is Lavenderville.  I find it hard to leave every time I go.  It's a place where you can stand...
 in the middle of an open field and close your eyes and feel the breeze blowing across your face.  It's a cold breeze but such fresh air.  You are surrounded by mountains that are slightly dusted with snow at their very peaks and the steep cliffs of the mountains are covered with old and new rambling waterfalls. 

When you take a walk you seen signs of wildlife that use the field as a passageway to other areas.  The grass is stomped down in a perfectly straight path from their footprints.  The lavender sits very content waiting for spring to come and the work to begin.  But I can't really call it work because it feels so good when I'm there.  The row of baby lavender we planted in October is struggling to survive.  I am so glad we didn't plant the full 800 we have waiting to be put in the ground.

The sky was sooo blue yesterday you swear you could just reach up and touch it.  The fields look very different when you go during the winter because the long grass has been flattened down by the snow so you can see trees and buildings that normally you don't see during the other seasons.  They have cut down a major section of trees at the end of the airfield it looks so strange to see the forest of trees gone.  I had dreamed about living in a cabin amidst those trees but unfortunately the gliders and planes found the trees too tall for landing.  Besides I'm always dream'n that one would have never come about.

I saw no signs of spring in my field not like I do at home where everything is budding.  But it's still oh so pretty.  We stood there making plans for the new year.  Priority will be to plant those 800 lavender in May or June depending on the weather. We also need to recover the 350 lavender already growing because the endless wind at the airport has blown away the sand covering and now the landscape fabric is exposed and deteriorating quickly.  The 350 lavender look very happy.  It's amazing what you can grow without access to flowing water.

I remember the first year I planted those 350 babies...I had a 45 gallon barrel of water that I filled at my daughter's house [perhaps another reason I love the area, my daughter, son-in-law and 2 grandkids live near] and took it out to the field where I used a watering can to give the newly planted lavender any moisture I can.  They need a bit of pampering the first year they are planted and then for the next 10 years they are amazingly resilient.

My lavender field gives me the 'country' fix I need once and awhile.  I come back to the city to enjoy my home of over 20 years, it has evolved like me. At first I'm sad for leaving my special place but then I know what waits for me home.  The warmest welcome you could ask for from my Dudley and a home that grows more comfortable day by day.  Of course there is always my other daughter, hubby and 5 grandkids in the city as well. 

So I feel so lucky to have a taste of both worlds.  Each is there when I need them.  Everyday when I wake up I say 'thank you for this day' and my family, my home, my friends and my life.  It is a life that doesn't ask me for much but continues to fill me with joy and contentment.  Thanks 'life' for being what you are...you are more than I ever could have asked for! =0)

signed 'one' purple ladybug appreciative of those things that surround her, here or there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It may be when we no longer know what to do, we have come to our real work, and that when we no longer know which way to go, we have begun our real journey.