Never Underestimate The Power of 'One'

Purple Ladybug (that's me) believes in the strong power of 'ONE'...one person, one smile, one hug or ? All it takes is 'ONE' thing to happen during your day to change the way you feel, it may be amazing or even heartbreaking. We face many 'ONE's each and every day, so join me as I take my future 'ONE' day at a time and write about my journey as a cancer conquerer and the 'ONE's in my daily life.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Day 411 - 'one' odd gene

Our first stop...a real lighthouse to go inside!
Are you surprised?  Well you shouldn't be, I've always been abnormal and always will be! LOL

What a wonderful time we had the last 3 days with 5 of our grandkids in Sooke on Vancouver Island.  I'm not sure who was more tired, Gramma and Grandpa or the kiddo's.  But by the 3rd day we all hit the beach and became sand lumps...
 

Days of beach combing, games, crafts and so much more.  We managed to get almost everything done we wanted to and spending time with each of them meant more to us than any words could ever say.  We couldn't have done it without the help of everyone in each family.  With everyone contributing their time and energy it was a labour of love and something that each of us will remember in a special way.  Yep, we had a blast!

Our ruffing it home for 2 nights
I didn't even think about what awaited for me on return of the trip, my appointment with my oncologist to determine if I had the 'right' gene to get a new protocol concoction.  Just to help you remember what this appointment was all about...I am currently on my 3rd chemo protocol that doesn't seem to be doing much so my doctor decided to look into another option for me.  But the new protocol would only work if I had a 'normal' tumour.  If it was abnormal unfortunately the 4th protocol would not be an option.

Future fisherwoman.
As you can guess by the first line of this blog, my tumour was determined to be abnormal.  Was I surprised, a little, was I disappointed, of course but just as you do when you get 'not-so-great' news, you move on.  You start thinking...what's our next move?  Of course you push your emotions down because of the disappointment but when you start talking about options it shifts your thinking to what is possible.  Dwelling on the impossible doesn't help me or the people around me, not one bit. 

Beach combing when the tides out.
What's possible?  Well this is the current plan...I will stay on this protocol until it shows through my CT scans that it is no longer working at all.  We will no longer depend on my tumour markers results because they just aren't showing what is truly happening, they are just going a little up and a little down.  Some people can make treatment decisions based on their tumour marker results but for me it just doesn't say much.  I will get my next CT scan in 8 weeks and see if my current recipe is doing anything or at least keeping things under control.

Yep...our survivor crew.  We ALL
got kicked off the island...sadness.
What then? Then I will decide if I want to get into a clinical trial that is available.  More than likely there won't be a colon cancer clinical available but there are many others.  My doctor says that people usually go into clinical trials to give back to the current cancer research.  I don't like the idea of changing doctors and I really don't like the idea of having to go to Vancouver but we will make that decision when we need to. There are still all the natural formula's out there to try as well, so that's another option.  For now...it's about keeping strong, enjoying the moments, the caring ones around me and just having a whole heck of fun! I can't control the future but I can control what I do today and my attitude. 

I'm lucky...Yep I'm lucky to have time and sooooo much of it!  Make sure you enjoy a moment tomorrow where you realize just how lucky you are.  No doubt in my mind that I am lucky! 

signed 'one' tired but lucky purple ladybug

No comments:

Post a Comment

It may be when we no longer know what to do, we have come to our real work, and that when we no longer know which way to go, we have begun our real journey.